Rehabilitation and Expansion
In the early 90's, a phase of development and reconstruction took place. The Port of Beirut was
rehabilitated and it expanded to encompass 4 docks, 2 new quays (15,16) and new container
terminal with 700,000 TEU/year capacity. The container terminal became operational in February
2005. It is equipped with 6 ship-to-shore gantry cranes (outreach 60m.) and 18 rubber tyred
Port of Beirut infrastructure
- POB total area : 1,200,000 m2
- Water basin total area: 1,002,000 m2
- Main Breakwater : 3,190m.
- Detached Breakwater : 550m.
- Total length of quays : 5.655m of which
- 1,654m for general cargo operation: depth between 8m and 10,5m
- 1,334m for containers operation: depth between 10,5m and 13m
- Dedicated container quay (No.16) with 1.100m length which
600m with 15.5m depth & 500m with 16.5m depth.
- 220m bulk quay with 13m depth
All quays are equipped with water outlets for ship service.
- 4 warehouses for general cargo: total area 25,547m2
- 3 warehouses for groupage operation: total area 20,488m2
- 3 warhouses for cars: total area 17,958m2
- 1 open warehouse for cars and heavy load engines: total area 8,220m2
- 1 warehouse for hazardous goods: total area 5.231m2
- Duty Free Market: total area 11,200m2 (modular shops)
- 3 Industrial buildings: total area 32,400m2:
- 52 warehouses/bldg of which 16 on ground floor
- Approx. 200m2/warehouse
Logistic Free Zone
- 17 Logistic warhouses are exploited by 10 different companies.
- 6 Logistic warhouses under construction for industrial usage.
- Total capacity: 120,000 tons
- 48 big cells: capacity 2,500tons/cell
- 50 small cells: capacity 500tons/cell
- Suction speed: 600tons/hour
- Free Zone: capacity 475 cars
- Administrative bldgs. gate: capacity 160 trucks
- Gate No.9: capacity 140 trucks
- 35 mobile cranes for steel: capacity 50 to 300 tons
- 12 mobile cranes for general cargo: capacity 25 tons\
- 34 forklifts 1.5 to 10 tones
- 30 trucks
- 78 trailers
- 7 tractors
- 2 water cisterns
- Stacking area: 600,000 m2. Capacity: 1.200.000 TEU/year.
- Reefer: 800 points.
- 6 ship-to-shore gantry cranes (quay 16), capacity 60 tons
height under spreader :37 m.
- 6 ship-to-shore gantry cranes (New quay 16 East), capacity 65 tons,
height under spreader :43 m.
- 39 rubber tyred gantry cranes (RTG) , capacity:40 tons.
- 10 reach stackers: 41 tons.
- 3 empty containers handlers (EHC): 12,5 tons.
- 12 terminal tractors: 4x2 drive.
- 30 terminal chassis: 45'-60 tons.
- 4 Ro-Ro tractors: 4x4 drive.
- 4 Ro-Ro trailers: 40'-60 tons.
- 4 goose necks