Our Historical Gallery

History

Historical Background

The name of Beirut Port has been mentioned since the fifteenth century BC in the mutual letters of the Pharaohs and the Phoenicians, and during the Roman Era, it was developed into a commercial and economic center. During the Omayyad Era, the Port of Beirut became the center for the First Arabic Fleet. As for the Crusaders Era, the Port of Beirut had an important role in the maritime trade between East and West. This role had been fortified during the Mameluke Era when it was turned into a commercial center visited by pilgrims of the Holy Lands. By the end of the 19th century, the current Port of Beirut had been founded..

Port Of Beirut Concession

  • On 19/6/1887, the Ottoman authority gave the concession of the Port to an Ottoman company under the name of "Compagnie du Port, des Quais et des Entrepôts de Beyrouth". The concession was later fortified when the company gained from the Customs the sole rights to store and carry all the transit goods passing through the Customs. Constructions works namely a maritime dam to expand and develop the Port were accomplished and the opening on the occasion of the accomplishment of these works was celebrated by the end of 1894, basins were developed and spread between Ras Al Shamiah and Ras Al Mudawar.
  • On 20/5/1925, the “Compagnie du Port, des Quais et des Entrepôts de Beyrouth” got the French nationality.
  • On the 13/4/1960, the company's name was changed and a 30 years concession was given to a Lebanese company called "Compagnie de Gestion et d'Exploitation du Port de Beyrouth", that worked on expanding Môle 3 and the break water, and finishing quay 14.

End Of Concession

On 31/12/1990, the concession ended. 
The government forced a temporary committee to manage the Port of Beirut.